- 4 to 5 small red potatoes, sliced
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 medium summer squash, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium sized tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped, divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare onion, garlic, and sliced potatoes. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a 10 or 12-inch oven safe skillet. Add onion, garlic, and potatoes to the pan and stir to coat with oil.
Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until golden brown and tender. Add one cup mozzarella cheese. In a bowl, toss together the squash, zucchini, and tomatoes with salt, pepper, and half of the finely chopped basil.
Layer squash and tomato slices over the potato and cheese layer. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender and cheese is melted. Remove skillet from oven and top with remaining basil. Makes 8, one-cup servings.